In my recent post about what it takes to be a successful musician in the 21st Century, one of the skills that I mentioned was Communication Skills. What do I mean?
Musicians need powerful communication skills in many different settings:
- In ensembles to make sure that the group is on the same page musically, listening carefully to each other so that the music flows;
- In collaborations with other artists to maximize the synergies and create a powerful experience for the collaborators and their audiences;
- Engaging their audiences so that the audience members will appreciate the music and have a deeper and richer understanding of the performance;
- Teaching so that their students understand how they can improve and grow and learn;
- Creating something new, be it a festival, a non-profit organization or an ensemble, and getting people on board to support the new venture
- Networking so that they can meet and connect with other people.
Effective communication is a powerful leadership skill. It starts with knowing who you are as a communicator and what are your strengths. One way to do this is to know your communication style.